ARE WE THERE YET?

ARE WE THERE YET?
2 1/2 days until EE (exit experience)

Sunday, June 10, 2007

I altered my choice...posts that are too long, are just that.
I wanted to share my experience with two teachers this past week. I have been doubting my ability to be in a leadership role at my school. There seems to be so many other teachers that are smarter than I, have more experience than I, have the ability to articulate what needs to be articulated....but this week I may have found what I do do well, and that is sharing what I love to do. I started my end of year wiki with my last class of the year (check it out coopsgeometry.pbwiki.com) and showed it to another teacher in my department and she now has her own started for next year. She does so much more techy stuff than I have ever done so I didn't need to help her much but in the coming months I think she will be a great advocate partner for implementing more of this type of technology. The other teacher I had fun with is in the English department and I went to her in search of a donut. Yes, food brought me to the right place at the right time. I asked her how she was doing--an innocent question--and she held up the "goal sheet" and said she was stuck on what to put. She wanted to incorporate more technology like doing a web page but was told by others that we all had to do that next year and she was now stumped on what angle to shoot for. I showed her my Wiki and my blog (this one) and answered her excited questions about the pros and cons of each. We discussed backgrounds, layouts possibilities, limited access, editable content--it was very exciting and she was thankful to have the help. She had not gotten much this past year. I realized that it is unfair to say that the teachers that have not incorporated techno-stuff are resistant. There just may not be help available when they are asking for it. I left her with ideas that i could see buzzing in her head and the URLs of the sites to get started. It was fun and I even got my donut!

3 comments:

Wen~ said...

Way to go, Tracey! I really think this has to be a slow and steady process. I agree that time is a major factor.

Natalie's Google Account said...

What do you plan on including in your wiki? I have thought about using this as a classroom tool, but am not sure how I want to proceed... I would be interested in seeing where you plan on going with the it. I'd love to see what my students do with the opportunity to reflect on their learning. Sometimes they have difficulty verbalizing, though.

Steve said...

Sound like you were acting like a leader. Way to go! Keep plugging away!